A healthy vegetarian take on the traditional thai curry.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Serves: Serves 4
1. To make the curry. Heat two tablespoons of oil on medium-high heat. Chop the aubergines into quarters and fry for 6-8 minutes or until tender, then set to one side.
2. Peel and finely grate the ginger and garlic, then peel and finely slice the white onion (use a mandolin if you have one).
3. Add the rest of the oil to the pan, tip in the cumin and mustard seeds and fry until they begin to pop.
4. Lower the heat slightly, add the curry leaves and dried chillies then continue to cook until the leaves are crisp and translucent. Stir in the ginger and garlic and fry for one minute.
5. Add the sliced onion along with ½ teaspoon of salt, lower the heat and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
6. Stir in the tomato purée, garam masala and coconut milk. Bring it to a simmer, return the aubergine to the pan and cook for 10 minutes, or until it’s soft but still firm to bite.
7. To make the red onion salad. Finely slice the red onion, chop the coriander leaves, then mix together in a small serving dish.
8. Divide the curry between bowls and serve with the red onion salad and poppadoms.